Lexi has been playing with babies a lot lately; (no I'm not pregnant), so yesterday she came to me and asked me a little about babies! Here's our conversation:
L-"mom, when I'm a grown up will I have to go to the doctor and get shots in my tummy?"
A-"No, why would you need shots in your tummy?"
L-"For when I have a baby in there!"
A-" You won't have to get any shots in your tummy"
L-"So what does the baby do in my tummy?"
A-"Well, it stays inside and grows until it's time for it to be born"
L-"Then how do you get it out?"
A-(thinking, am I really having this conversation with my 4 year old!) "When it's time for the baby to be born you have to go to the hospital so the doctors can help you"
L- "how do the doctor's help get it out?"
A-"you have to push it out, and the doctor's make sure everything is ok"
L-"How do you push it out of your mouth?" (pointing in her mouth)
A- (laughing, and thinking where did she get that idea) "Well, you don't"
Then my phone rang and she ran off and hasn't asked about it since! I know you are supposed to be honest with your kids about their bodies and things of that nature, but should I really tell her how babies are born?! I know that if I do she will be telling everyone!!
Another conversation yesterday:
L- "When I'm a grown up can I still play with toys?"
A- "Sure"
L- "Well, when Kamryn is a grown up too what will we do with our playground?"
A- "What do you mean?"
L- "We are going to be too big for it, will we have to give it back?"
A-"We will find someone that needs it for their kids"
L-"You know.... I like to swim"
A- "yes, I know you do" (not sure if we started a new conversation)
L- "I think we need to get a pool, cause I won't grow too big to play in pools and you and Daddy can swim too!"
A- "that's a great idea"
She makes me laugh every day with the things she says, I need to start writing them more!
Check out my blog for Kid's Philosophy
5 years ago


4 comments:
Wow, what a smart and curious little girl. I'm not exactly sure what you should tell her about childbirth, but I did find a book on the internet about it on Amazon.com called "How You Were Born" by Joanne Cole. I might buy it for myself, just in case!
Hi! This is Nicole. I found you through Angie. Your girls are so cute. Kids can say the craziest things. And I really have no idea what you should tell her. That's a tough one!
we love lexi!!! she always makes us laugh!! i am wondering too, with kaden getting older what we should tell him about his special body parts and all of that?? should we use the real names or nicknames?? i guess we will have to wait and see...i think you should do what you guys are comfortable with. every family is different. and if they say something to embarass you in the middle of church, everyone should understand. they are kids!
Andrea, Lexi is seriously HILARIOUS!! At least I know that I'm not the only one having conversations like that with my kids. I still remember when Cooper said (shortly after Katelyn was born), "mommy, when I get bigger will I have milk to feed the baby?" I did not even attempt go there...
Post a Comment