Monday, June 30, 2008

Zions

Finally, we had a vacation! It definately could have been longer, but we will take what we can get these days. We packed up and spent the last four days at Zion National Park. It is such a beautiful place, I don't think we got to see even half of it while we were there. Kamryn got to hang out in the backpack carrier most of the time, which she actually enjoyed. Lexi was her usual wild self, and had a lot of fun. We got to break out the dutch oven and even roasted a few marshmallows, although it was too hot to sit by the fire.

Our friend Greg was our tour guide since he has spent a lot of time exploring and climbing in Zions. Our first climb we got to try some "crack climbing" which means you find a small crack in the face of the mountain and see if you can shove your much larger feet and hands in to climb up to the top! Yes, it was painful at times, but it feels awesome when you make it to the top and see what you have accomplished. The second climb was also a crack climb, but it was a much larger crack, which the guys had an easier time, but was a lot harder for me. There was a cave at the top of this climb which was pretty cool. The kids were so good, they had to hang out at the bottom while everyone took their turns. Lexi got to take her turn climbing, just where we could hold on to her since the kids harness we have is still too big for her. She had fun though, and even told the neighbors at the campground that she climbed the mountain.

We hiked through the Virgin River to the Narrows. I would recommend some water shoes if you are going to attempt this hike, the river bottom is covered in rocks and it doesn't feel so good on bare feet. It is an awesome view, and the water felt great since it was close to 100 degrees all weekend.

We also hiked up to Weeping Rock. The hike was only about a 1/4 mile, which I think we were all glad for since we did a climb first and our muscles were burned out. The end of the hike you come to the mountain that literally seeps water out of it. The water is filtered through the sandstone mountain and it has been tested and is said to be thousands of years old.

There was so much to see, and not enough time to do it! I think we will try to make another trek there at the end of the summer. Anyone else want to come?
Here are some pictures from the weekend.





The shuttle ride

The crew, except me (I'm usually the one taking the picture!)



Tim on the first climb



There's me on the same route, I'm just above the trees. You can see the crack better from this angle.

Lexi was so excited to climb



She's a natural!



On our way to the narrows




Here I am carrying Lexi through the river, the extra 35 pounds doesn't feel good on my bare feet in the rocks!

Tim, Kamryn and Lexi walking through the river to the narrows


Kamryn definately had the best view!

Still smiling!


Finally a little rest. This was on the second climb almost to the top, I wasn't sure if I wanted to get off the ledge to do the last 15 feet, my whole body was exhausted. Somehow I made it! (Sorry about the butt shot!) Greg was anchored at the top of the route and ballaying from there. Matt was standing in the cave taking video.
Lexi with all of Greg's gear hanging above her head
We actually tied Kamryn to the mountain! It was much easier than trying to keep her from climbing all over the rocks and the rugged trails!

The fam at Weeping Rock. If you look closely you can see the water falling like rain around us

Kamryn napping on the hike down



This is how the days usually ended, everyone asleep on the shuttle. (Sorry Greg I had to do it!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

More rock climbing! By the time I get to go you will be a pro and I can take you along as my guide!

Shalae said...

You guys are so adventurous! It looks like a lot o fun! The views are amazing too!

Mike&JenFamily said...

Looks like you guys had so much fun. Sorry we really wanted to go but just to much before our trip to Idaho. Can't wait to hang out with you guys again!!

Elle said...

IMMMMMMMPRESSIVE!!!!!

mutze handknit by ashley said...

Thanks for the invite on this trip but you are all pro's. There is no way we could have made it. The pictures are amazing. It looks like so much fun. Can't wait for Mt. Charleston trip. Lexi looked so cute rock climbing. Ash